>Wouldn't it be nice to make Contribute a Java application that could be
>integrated into an existing web-application to give this kind of
>power/control to us developers so that we could hand it out to whoever
>needs to use it - and have it be web-based so as not to have to maintain
>software installations on multiple users' machines?

>Just a thought. At $99 it's a good deal, but it would be more useful if
>it would run on the web.

Actually we have such an application, ActivEdit
(http://www.cfdev.com/activedit/) in the latest version it includes a Java
Applet WYSIWYG Editor, and it starts at $99 as well. Granted it doesn't have
all the features that contribute has.

But I think your overestimating how well Java Applets work across the board.
There are big issues when it comes to getting Java Applets working on Mac
(mainly the LiveConnect API isn't implemented fully on Mac OSX browsers).
Applets do work quite well on Windows, and reasonably well on Linux however.

I can relate to Macromedia Contribute undercutting many of their customers,
I don't think its helping their popularity with the development community.
However customers that don't want to be tied to desktop software, and
installation issues I think will still go for a web based WYSIWYG
editor/content manager.