On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 09:49 PM, Dave Watts wrote:

> According to Dick's three-part article, Verity doesn't work and web
> services
> don't work. Verity is never going to work, since there's no native OS X
> version of Verity. Conceivably, web services could work in a future
> version
> of CFMX. There may be other things that don't work, but those are the
> only
> two which come to mind. Of course, in a production environment those
> two
> things may be very important.

One other thing that doesn't work is a connector to the Apache web
server -- AFAIK, the connector is still platform-dependent C code, so
you are limited to the MM-supplied default (Java code) server.

Consuming web services can be made to work on OS X, but we (several
different people) never have been able to get Publishing web services
to work.

There is a minor irritant -- several places in the CFMX Administrator,
MM uses a Java applet to browse the local directory.  The applet works
OK, but the JavaScript functions that interface the applet fail on
every OS X browser I've tried.  So, while you can browse to a file or
directory or file, you can't "Apply" that selection (submit a form with
the selected path info).  This is not critical because you can always
key or paste the path info manually.

The above is used in several places such as mappings, archive
deployment, etc.

> My guess is, sometime after OS X gains significant market share as a
> server
> platform, if ever. I don't think that's going to be any time soon, but
> could be wrong.

I read somewhere, recently, that Apple Server growth (as a percentage)
was higher than any other server mfgr -- of course it is pretty easy to
have a high growth rate when your installed base is very low.

There are still some market segments (education, publishing) where
Apple has a large (if not dominant) desktop presence.  This would
appear to be a good potential to market Apple Servers.

Just a few additional comments:

Darryl Salas, the evangelist for Sybase_ASE on the Mac, said that they
designed the Mac product so that it had an intelligent install.  Sybase
was quite happy with the results, as the entire install takes just a
few minutes, and is very close to a 1-click install (you don't have to
answer a lot of questions).  Darryl claims that this is unprecedented
for a RDBMS in the class of Sybase, SQL-Server, etc.   I've never
installed SQL-Server, but Sybase_ASE for the Mac is as easy, or easier,
to install than most of the other RDBMSes, such as: MySQL, PostgreSQL,
PointBase, FrontBase, OpenBase, Oracle, FileMaker, etc.  Sybase does
this without sacrificing any function.

Sybase_ASE has another unique feature, it is Rendezvous-compliant.
Rendezvous is Apple's implementation of Zero-Configuration Networking.
This means that a computer running a Sybase client can automatically
recognize any available Sybase databases on the network (wired or
wireless) and connect to them (with proper authorization).  It's kinda'
cool -- it just burps at you when it discovers a db.  So, you could
walk into the client's boardroom with your Mac TiBook, automatically
recognize the client's db, connect, define the dsn to CFMX, then write
and run an ad hoc CF program -- no wires, no nuthing!

There is at least one person who claims that his Xserve box is faster
than any of his NT or 2000 servers.

Apple's XServe software has a fixed price-- you aren't charged for
extra CPUs or extra Clients -- I  understand that this is unusual, if
not unprecedented.

OS X (both desktop and server versions) come with everything you need
to run CFMX, JVM, JDK, Apache -- So, if MM were to release a product
for OS X, it likely would be smaller, cleaner and easier to install.

So far, Sybase and Oracle have released their latest RDBMSes for OS X,
and IBM ran a survey, and is evaluating DB/2 for OS X -- so If Apple
has it's cost, reliability, support act together, they could have some
success ing the DB server market.

Tomcat is available for Mac OS X -- so there is at least 1 J2ee
appserver (although Tomcat is not certified).

Hopefully, the above will help sustain and improve Apple's share of the
server market -- to the point where there is a large enough target for
MM to make money on a CFMX Mac OS X product.

Dick