> "Why" is central. If it's down to the idiosyncratic
> preferences of a client
> you can't argue with, or the results of extensive user
> testing that you
> likewise can't really argue with - well, there's no argument!

There's a reason that I posted my question the way that it was posted.
There aren't other options and the client wants to use it this way.  I
try to be fairly specific so that I don't spend time going round and
round as to why something is being done a certain way and so, instead, I
can provide the information needed to help me find a solution.

> Using a second screen for a preview with a "Go back to edit"
> option is used
> by Yahoo! and Amazon, who I always assume pour a lot of funds
> into user
> testing. If you've got a client or niche audience with their own
> set-in-stone ideas, though, on with the JS...

As does my client; they're not Yahoo! nor Amazon.

> Bear in mind that in HTML 4, the FORM tag has a TARGET
> attribute, just the
> same as A (_blank, _top, etc.), so you could just use this to
> fire the form
> into a new window, although you'd not be able to control the
> size, etc. of
> the _blank window. You could set the FORM TARGET to
> "confirmWin", though,
> and onsubmit create this window with JS for the form to be
> submitted into.

Sure, and then it would negate the existing form action that tells the
submit to go to a results page, hence, again, the popup solution.  The
client wants the user to view what they're sending, as the recipient
would see it prior to submitting, and they don't want any risks
associated with leaving the initial form page--as to the results of
their own user testing and experience with other applications.  This is
how they want it and for their own specific reasons.