As an additional addendum to this.  I would avoid anything higher then 1.4.0
as many on this list who have tried 1.4.1 have had various issues.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean A Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 10:18 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFMX / JVM

On Thursday, Dec 19, 2002, at 06:53 US/Pacific, Samuel R. Neff wrote:
> I don't think there is an official recommendation.

I think you're right because the question has been asked and gone
unanswered here before.

> I believe the IBM one
> is bundled with CFMX and many have reported problems with CFHTTP fixed
> only
> by installing a new JVM--the SUN one in particular.

Yes, CFMX Standalone ships with the IBM JVM, 1.3.1 I believe. Our own
documentation mentions the 1.4.0 JVM in connection with certain tags
(cfhttp may well be one of them). The 1.4.0 JVM is substantially faster
than the 1.3.1 JVM so it's a 'safe' upgrade.

> I've read reports that the BEA JVM, JRockit, is a lot faster than IBM
> & SUN
> JVM.

Several people seem to have had a lot of success with JRockit although
I recall some problems reported with it early on (perhaps an earlier
version?). I don't believe CFMX w/ JRockit is a supported configuration
however.

> Also, CFMX for J2EE is much faster than standalone CFMX (even CFMX
> for JRUN is faster than CFMX Enterprise which uses JRun).

By way of explanation, CFMX for J2EE has been optimized to take better
advantage of the underlying J2EE system. Yes, it is faster than CFMX
Standalone but it's also very dependent on the J2EE system in use and
the difference is more noticeable as you move up the multi-processor
scale. Check out the CFMX for WebSphere performance brief in the
ColdFusion MX Whitepapers section of mm.com.

Sean A Corfield -- Director, Architecture
Web Technology Group -- Macromedia, Inc.
tel: (415) 252-2287 -- cell: (415) 717-8473
aim: seancorfield -- http://www.macromedia.com
An Architect's View -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

Introducing Macromedia Contribute. Web publishing for everyone.
Learn more at http://www.macromedia.com/contribute