Contribute is being interpreted by some of my prospective clients as
Macromedia's version of my company's proprietary web content management
tools on their initial reading of the Contribute site marketing
material.   They ask me "why do we need to pay you when we can use
Macromedia's tools?"

There really is no similarity beyond marketing hype, however it's becoming
a new issue we need to address in the sale cycle...  Bottom line though is
our client sites can be maintained by clerical workers with no programming,
computer or technical savvy, and with Contribute there's a HUGE potential
for site failure due to the depth of the software... Contribute is NOT
truly a painless effortless site content maintenance tool for anyone other
than high end designers or IT people in corporations.   (Our clients are
the small and mid-size business without an IT or design staff).