> Users can do that with a free application such as Netscape
> Composer and many other HTML editors, also free.
>
> I could not imagine making my clients purchase an editor
> which would require me to give them a permission key from
> DreamweaverMX, when I can do that simple via folder permissions..
>
> Maybe I am missing something here.

I think you are missing something, if you don't mind me saying so.

If you're working with a static site, and you want non-technical people to
contribute content to that site, Contribute allows you to do that much
easier than any other (free or not-free) HTML editor.

Typically, you don't want non-technical content contributors dealing with
HTML formatting any more than necessary, and you want them to place their
content within a site format that you've already created. By creating
templates in Dreamweaver, you can control the layout of specific pages
created or edited in Contribute. This is quite a bit different than simply
limiting what a user can do in a folder - instead, you're limiting users to
publishing using an existing approved format.

For this use, I don't think there's anything comparable to Contribute out
there, at any price point. This makes the $99 per seat cost look very small
to me. My biggest reservation about Contribute is that I'm not keen on the
idea of a static HTML site - I'd much rather see content stored within a
database. But, if an organization isn't ready to implement a real,
database-driven CMS, and will be using a static HTML site, I'd strongly
recommend looking at a Contribute/Dreamweaver solution - site designers
would use Dreamweaver to create and edit templates, and content contributers
would use Contribute.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496