A good summary Jochem would be for folks to tune the firewall and
ensure permissions/allowable IP list...

I know one of our enviroments runs machines with no patches and very
screwed up management approach... Meaning things are far from right,
even though we tell them about it all the time...

However, we have a firebox II sitting in front locked down fairly
good... The worm didn't effect the environment nor have any of the
previous security items...

In your environment you point out the user base... 8000... agreeable...
large base for things...

Tune the firewall and restrict traffic there ... allowing like port 80
in and out disbaling all other services and ports, except those in a
defined list of authrozied servers....

That is how I would stab the issue..

-p

Paris Lundis
Founder
Areaindex, L.L.C.
http://www.areaindex.com
http://www.pubcrawler.com
412-292-3135
[finding the future in the past, passing the future in the present]
[connecting people, places and things]