Yes you can, and you have to.  The problem is that it is a pain in the ass
to maintain your rule sets as they change frequently, but that is the cost
of security.  Pessimistic security is a pain to maintain, which is why so
many people choose not to.

Every network should be firewalled and you should have specific ingress and
egress rules for each  host based on the needs of that host.  If a host does
not need outbound http, block it, then it cannot be the source of a DDOS
even if it gets compromised.  I have a very hard time believing that
innovation means that every port on every box has to be open to the public.
If the servers need to be accessible to users, they should be tunneling into
the LAN to get behind the firewall.

> I think we have had this discussion last week already, but
> firewalls are
> not the answer to all problems. Sure, properly secured firewalls on
> machines running MS SQL Server would have prevented this issue (at
> least, nobody has convinced me that UDP should be allowed to a
> production server at all). But there are allways other

DNS uses UDP.  If you run DNS internally, you need to allow UDP port 53.
PCAnywhere also uses UDP.