From: Webmaster [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 31 January 2003 9:46 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Client Variables - Serious Problem

Someone emailed the URL to someone else or a search engine has a link with
the full url, cftoken included.

  We have a customer that will not allow cookies, for good reasons.  So we
have to use the URL to pass the CFID.  We use client vars to track the
session because session vars don't work behind a load balancer without
cookies. (Specially if the uses IP address is different for each request
(AOL, IBM etc)...
  So, you will run into a problem if someone emails the URL with the cftoken
in it or a search engine gets it.  Now anyone using that search engine and
clicks on the link with the URLTOKEN in it will take on the personality
associated with that token.

  What we did was added code to the application.cfm to check for the
referrer.  If the referrer is blank, which it will be if coming from an
email, or if the referrer is not my host name, we clear the client.cfltoken
vars.  This gives them a new cftoken.  This seems to work, however, some
browsers do not pass the referrer.  So, we are still looking for an optimal
solution.  If only we could use cookies, this would solve the problem.

By the way. Amazon.com also has this problem because they work without
cookies also, so we are not alone.
1: Go to Amazon.com
2: Put something in your cart.
3: Now send that URL to someone, or put it into another machine you have
locally.
4: Now delete the cart.
So if you email the URL to show someone the cart, they can delete it.  If
that URL gets into a search engine, it can cause grief for a few days. This
should not happen often so Amazon is not going to try to fix the problem.
This is why Amazon forces you to enter your email and password every time on
check out, even if you have cookies enabled...