It didn't slip by, it's just not clear what you want.  Double-clicking a
CFTREEITEM isn't supposed to submit the form.  The form should have a
submit button.  If you want some action to occur without submitting the
form, you can set the CFTREEITEM's HREF attribute.
If double-clicking did in fact submit the form, HTTP_REFERER would be the
page containing the CFTREE.  You know what this page is, so why not use
that name rather than HTTP_REFERER?
-David