> At 01:01 PM 2/21/03 -0600, Raymond Camden wrote:
>>I don't think you will ever kill that argument. There are
>>some people
>>who - for whatever reason - think ALL commercial software
>>is the tool of
>>the devil, and if you try to sell code you are commiting a
>>mortal sin.
>>They will NEVER be convinced otherwise. (Or so it seems.)

> That's true.  How do people like that make money?

They make their money in some other way and programming to them is a hobby.
Or they give away free software in the hopes of creating a reputation for
themselves which will help them sell the service of software development /
integration for in-house projects for large corporations, small contracts,
or just plain landing a good job. I do that myself (
http://www.turnkey.to/tapi ) although I also sell software licenses. I
suspect the thinking is that because software can be distributed for free
(if you really wanted to you could distribute software via a Geocities,
Angelfire or Tripod website) that all software licensing should also be
free, leaving any and all competition between consultants over money spent
on services rendered. In other words, "if it doesn't cost you anything,
don't charge anything".

Even free software costs something to the person developing it (time) but I
think they rationalize that expense as the "cost of doing business" --
marketing dollars essentially. Though with it now being horribly easy to
hire programmers from India or the Phillipines I wonder that the consultant
cowboy is apt to be hardest hit by future shifts in power when the software
they've spent so many hours developing as a marketing effort is being
implemented more often by people who will do their job for 1/3rd of their
wage.

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

tapestry api is opensource     http://www.turnkey.to/tapi

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816