Again, I don't want to put words in Hal's mouth, but here's a list of things
that have come up in various discussions (the one containing the quote from
earlier and others):

 - Lack of a runtime inheritence hierarchy
 - Lack of the ability have instance variables
 - Lack of the ability to have protected and private methods and fields
 - Scoping issues, which may have been resolved, at least partially

I suspect that the first one is the big stickler, because in order to
encapsulate functionality, but allow parts of it to be extended, it is
imperitive that the superclass' constructor is called, and sometimes
super.methodName() as well.  FBMX is not an application where such
limitations can be worked around.  It is a generic API that developers
extend; a very different beast.  The other three can be worked around, but
are still a pain in the arse.

My supposition is that Hal doesn't want to release something and then have
MM fix any of the problems, which makes FBMX suddenly clunky or perhaps even
broken.  If CFCs were a few versions old, I think that hesitation wouldn't
be there, or at least not as much, as long as the issues didn't make the
framework overly clunky.

I know he also looked at writing the framework in Java, but that never took
off, because that would mean all extensions to the framework would have to
be written in Java, rather than CF, which might be nice for some people, but
part of the goal of FB is a shallow learning curve, or at least as shallow
as possible while maintaining the potential for large-scale use.

barneyb