Joshua wrote:
>All due respect to Mr. Neilsen, but he's a boring old codger.

Yes, he is an extremist.  However you will be more successful at his extreme than at
the other end.  Take his side and then deviate from it a bit and you'll be doing very
well.

>usability, but a lot of his ideas are contrary to what has
>worked in print marketing for decades.

<soapbox>

Don't take this personally, but I see this as the classic mistake made by
design-oriented developers, especially those with a print media background.  If I was
allowed to point to only one common error thats been around since Day 1 this would be
it.  I did print advertising production for years, and one of the first, hardest
lessons I learned was that web and print are two entirely different animals, although
many - mostly marketing types and graphic artists - don't see it that way.  The two
compare to one another very poorly on a number of fronts, not the least of which is
the necessary abandonment of the microscopic level of control we have over the output
seen by the customer/victim when using print media.

Plus, navigation is a non-issue on an advertisement, brochure or book: turn the page.
Then there's the issue of attention span... an entirely different one on print media,
where you're strictly looking at grabbing an eyeball and holding onto it for a few
seconds.  We all know the issues to consider are far more complex on the web.

In print usability is a very limited concept relegated to being able to read the
thing.  Thats not the case here.  Consider for two seconds how successful a web site
is if its pretty and engaging, but no one can navigate thru it for God-Knows-How-Many
reasons that we could all easily recite.  No matter what, aesthetics comes in well
behind usability on a piece of software, which is what web apps really are.

</soapbox>

 Matt Robertson,     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSB Designs, Inc. http://mysecretbase.com