For HTML this may have been the case, but market forces did force
thecompanies to adopt the core standards farily quickly.  That's not
stopping them fro adding features (and the W3C isn't demanding that they
don't) but it does level the playing field.

Also this didn't (and really couldn't) happen with W3C technologies like
HTTP and XML.  These are foundational technologies; enabling
technologies.

Almost by definition any well-thought out, peer-reviewed standard is
going to "trail" current technology.  The world is full of in-use
technology that really just isn't that great (my favorite example is
yENC on usenet) because it meets some need "well-enough".

It then takes a standards body time to consider the ramifications of the
technology and how it fit's into the broader picture.

> > The W3C is also, I believe, the only organization that
> > can bring about the promises of the Semantic Web, common
> > Ontologies and many other foundational technologies.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for standardization. But the W3C
> can't bring about doodly-squat. All it can do is help vendors
> do what they want to do, if they want to do it.

I'm just put off by the extreme nature of your comments.  Is there no
room for moderation?  Can you honestly say XML achieved the widespread
adoption it enjoys solely due to vendor implementations?  How abot HTTP?

Also, and I'm worried that people simply don't know what the W3C IS
anymore, please remember that the vendors you're talking about are not
at odds with the W3C, they ARE the W3C.  It's a mostly vendor-based
group with ideas and direction coming from the vendor community.

In general there's a very distinct line between architectural
technologies and presentational technologies.  The W3C is much more
likely to be a driving force in the former than in the latter.  In the
latter the W3C is generally seen as a baseline effort (with vendors
claiming "standard plus" featuresets).

Lastly would it be so bad if, as you say, that the W3C "only" helped
vendors do what they want to do?  Assuming this means "in the least
disruptive way" isn't that a good, needed and noble purpose?  How would
the landscape look today if there were no HTML or HTTP standards?

Would we, like we do in the graphics and office arenas being installing
dozens of file-format filters with all or of our browsers to support all
the other browsers?  Would we even be able to see other browser content
without a common transport mechanism?

There is room, and a need, for both market drivers.  The web is a
controlled free market space.  Controlled by the foundational rules laid
out by the W3C.

Jim Davis