Not to speak for Dave, but I think the big picture of his comments is
"everything has a place".  I don't think throwing out everything the users
are accustomed to and alienating them would get any companies very far.

I was just at a client's the other day, and we were going over a web-based
calendar application.  One of the complaints from one of the people was that
"It isn't as easy or intuitive as Calendar Creator."  Now, I had never used
that specific application, and indeed, when she loaded it up, it WAS very
intuitive.  I don't think HTML is intuitive at all; we've all just become
accustomed to its kludginess so we know how to go about navigating web-based
applications far better than our clients do.

>From what I've learned from most clients as to their preferences for
web-based applications written in HTML is that they NEED more than just
HTML.  Applications built with only "standard" HTML form objects, unless you
are adding other technologies to the mix (Flash, client-side Java,
JavaScript and DHTML) are very counter-intuitive to the general user, no
matter how much eye-candy is used to spruce it all up.

As far as wanting to make the web more difficult by adding more client side
functionality to combat the counter-intuitiveness of HTML, I'd argue that
using that functionality depends on the type of application required by the
client.  Any shop that would use Flash JUST to use Flash has more to worry
about than the usability of the applications they build.

The bottom line is you have to give the client what they need, no more or no
less.  It's up to you and the client to determine what that is.

--Andy