Just an update... I have contacted Macromedia,

They claim that they have not heard of this problem from other users. They
had me download a JDBC MySQL driver from mysql's site.... the same problem
occured with that driver.

I created the data source using a Windows development version of Cold Fusion
MX on another machine pointing to the same database. It appeared to work
perfectly and correctly with no timeout issues, which points to mysql
working just fine.

I will await to hear back from Macromedia, but in the meantime, my next task
may be to replicate the Linux box and see if it occurs on another box with
the same setup. Also, then I may be able to test across machines instead of
loopback with Linux, which... maybe there is a problem accessing the
database on the same machine as CFMX??? Who knows.

I'm always up for more ideas, but I think replicating the environment might
be a good clue for finding out if it is a fluke or a repetitive issue for my
setup.

-Paul Hassinger