Not a mag-reader, but at a previous job (in a previous life?), we had a
project where data entry was handled in large part by bar code scanners.
Like mag readers, they simply read in the data from the bar code (or mag
strip) and mimic typing in the values as if they were key strokes.

They actually had some common values that, instead of just typing them in or
selecting them from a drop down list, they just printed out the bar codes
for these values, taped the print outs on the wall, and would scan them in
as needed.  I'm told that they even went so far as to have printouts for
each individual letter:

        "L" - beep - "A" - beep - "Z" - beep - "Y" - beep

How's that for government dollars at work?  8^)

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC