We have images and all of our applications are in ZenWorks, but we have
only about 2000 workstations, and one netadmin. It is against hospital
policy to download stuff because if we allow it, and it is illegal, then
we will be fined. Being a non-profit, we can't afford licensing fines.

This was just a comment. It really has no point ... ;)

Candace K. Cottrell, Web Developer
The Children's Medical Center
One Children's Plaza
Dayton, OH 45404
937-641-4293
http://www.childrensdayton.org

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/26/2003 1:26:25 AM >>>

:(

Honestly I've never worked in a large company that demanded that kind
of
adherance to the base image.  Sure an image is used to create the
machines (actually in most cases I've seen the vendor does this, Dell
or
Compaq or whomever) but after control is often left to the end user.

On the other hand medium sized-companies often seem to do this.  I
assume it's because they're moving towards consolidation.  But when
the
company gets REALLY big there's just no way to manage that many
disparate needs.  So you either play a losing game of "custom image"
or
give up some control.

Of course the by line is always "support only for supported platforms"
and that works for the vast majority of business and support personel,
but us tech geeks just always gotta be thorns...

My company (and it's children) has on the order of 13,000-17,000
machines... There are published standards and images, but not much in
the way of post install restrictions.  I've also worked at three... No
four other companies of similair or smaller sizes that also didn't
lock
down like this.  I dunno - maybe it's just the insurance industry.
;^)

Of course there ARE many companies that DO just what you described -
but
to make a blanket statement just isn't right.

Jim Davis