Recently I had to learn the ins and outs of CF and ArcIMS, it's been fun. I
inherited a number of ArcIMS projects from a developer who quit and had to
become competent in it very quickly.

In our shop, we have ArcIMS set up with ArcSDE to generate maps dynamically
based on layered data. Specificially, we are displaying regional maps
containing business locations, congressional districts, state lines, roads,
etc. Nothing too fancy.

The biggest challenge has been learning ArcSDE administration - ArcSDE
itself was fairly easy to set up, but the process of adding / taking data
out of various mapservices was difficult to work with primarily because it
uses command line tools for most of its data-loading functions. While we
found we could get by with just using shapefiles, we really needed a
spatially enabled database to handle the constantly changing data in our
output files (and we needed ArcView to make the shapefiles, which meant
updates to the mapping services were done by a human operator). Oh yeah, and
we were not going to use the java browser for our Web sites even if it meant
more work, nobody was really fond of it too much around here and XP users
were having to download the JDK.

But we were able to build out a fully automated system. It took about six
weeks. One tutorial I found helpful was from the NOAA, I think this was the
link:

http://hypernews.ngdc.noaa.gov/HyperNews/get/geospatial.html?inline=-1&nogif

NOAA is big into ArcIMS but they like to automate it with Perl. Nonetheless,
the syntax for ArcIMS is the same.