I am simply attempting to protect my users from their own ignorance or
dangerous habits. Your example is only further proof that what I described
is a real problem. I'm certainly not attempting or claiming to attempt to
prevent this from occuring, but I don't want any of my websites to
contribute to this problem or more importantly, be the source from which
nefarious persons gained access to one of my user's much more "valuable"
accounts (banking, bill paying, etc).

Storing the passwords encrypted is one way (particularly hashed, so that
even the developers, etc. can't access the passwords) is one way to
protect your users. Another is by never sending their passwords in clear
text.