I'm very unsatisfied with the attention that Macromedia are paying to the
problem at my hosting company.   Damon Cooper very generously stepped in to
help a few  days ago, then passed the problem to one of his support guys and
since then it's all gone pear-shaped.  There was a couple of phone calls
back and forth, and they tried some stuff, but suddenly it's stopped.   No
emails to Macromedia's support are being replied to.   Emails to Damon have
not been answered. I am worried that they're all going off for the weekend
leaving this unresolved.

This is totally unsatisfactory.

Here's what they think is an answer ... do you people think this is
satisfactory?

PROBLEM:
The sysadmin was trying to apply updater 3, and every time he did,
ColdFusion would hang.  Damon thought it was caused by the server only
having 16 colour graphics card instead of 256 colour.

WHAT'S BEEN DONE:
The sysadmin has replaced the card with a 256col card, and tried again to
reinstall updater3.  Now it seems to install, but CF won't start
automatically.  Every time the server gets booted, ColdFusion has to be
manually started.  (I don't consider this to be satisfactory in a large
shared environment data centre!)

MACROMEDIA'S RESPONSE:
Here's what the last response says ( and no further correspondence has been
received in the last few hours from Macromedia - to either me or the
Sysadmin - we face another weekend with a failed CFMX installation!)

[quote]
Macromedia: After you install Updater 3, the connector won't work with any
prior version of CFMX before Updater 3 so you're all set.
FYI.  Here's the connector FAQ:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/ts/documents/connector_inst
all_faq.htm

The service starting issue normally logs this to the event viewer. Windows
Event log details: System Log The ColdFusion MX Application Server service
terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).

What we found is if you reboot and log in right away, the CF Applcation
Server service throw this error.  If you wait a minute or two after reboot
before logging in, services start up fine.

Known bug that currently isn't an easy fix.

As long as you know about this bug (and to start CF manually), it should not
be too bad.

SYSADMIN: So, this is a know error and what you are saying is that if I
reboot and wait a few minutes the service will start automatically wihtout
the need of anyone to start the service manual ?
[/quote]

So does the system have to be manually started or not?  We can't get them to
answer.   The MM engineer says at one point if we wait minutes, it'll start,
and at another point, he says we have to start CF manually.  So which is it?
Both the SYSADMIN and I have sent emails to try to clarify this and haven't
got an answer.

Do you people think it's satisfactory to have a CF installation that won't
start automatically?

Is this common?

What have I done to deserve this?     Why can't I have a CF installation
that bloody well works properly?

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia