However if running a batch file DOES work then you should look at the
order at which things start up - rearranging them should fix the
problem.

We had a problem with PCAnywhere, for example, it would take a bit
longer than it claimed to start up and interfere with later services (in
our case Exchange 2000).  Once we moved PCAnywhere to start up last the
problem went away completely.

Since you make very well be using PCAnywhere (sine this is a remote box)
I'd try that just for kicks.  There's a technote at Symantec.com about
this.

Jim Davis

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481