On Saturday, Jun 14, 2003, at 19:24 US/Pacific, Doug White wrote:
> The is the repeated argument on the installations.  Why must anyone
> drill down
> to anywhere?  Why cannot the install package provide the options and
> then do the
> job?

Each J2EE app server provides a different way to manage the
applications it runs and JRun itself has an extremely good
administrative UI. If the install package had to allow users to
customize all of these myriad options it would (a) have to be a much
more complicated installer (which people don't want) and (b) it would
require a different installer for each app server (which might divert
resources away from other, more important core features, as well as
making it impossible to offer a pure Java version that installs on any
J2EE server).

The installer takes a middle course, providing many of the basic
install options that most people need but leaving the more esoteric
options to the individual. I've installed CFMX Server and J2EE edition
on three different platforms (Mac, Solaris, Windows) in a variety of
configurations and there are only a few 'tweaks' that I've needed to
perform via the underlying J2EE application server - with the exception
of the very specific shared document root setup used on a couple of our
servers (documented on my blog - I was the first person to attempt to
install it that way and the product team worked closely with me to make
it work - and most of those contortions are no longer relevant since
CFMX Updater 3 makes it easy to share a document root... I'll update
the blog entry at some point!).

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood

resources for the community.