From: Jon Block [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 11:59 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Is Flash really THAT good?

I've always equated Flash movies with special effects in movies. The best
special effects in movies are the ones you don't even know are there.
Sometimes I'm on a site and I realize wow how'd they do that ... and then a
right click on a certain area of the screen reveals its a Flash movie. Thats
where I think Flash is best used.

Something else that I wanted to mention... if you load a JPG in your
browser, would you consider it to be a website? Probably not. If you load a
quicktime movie in your browser, is that a web site? I would say "no". Same
is true for a Java applet. By the same logic, I think that when a flash
movie is loaded into a web browser and its the only thing on the page, its
really not a "web site" but instead a Flash movie running in your browser.

When I hear that someone is "doing a website in Flash", that never sits well
with me. If you are building an application that doesn't use HTML, doesn't
reload, can't be indexed by Google, doesn't even need to run in a web
browser in the first place, is it really a web site or is it something else?
If we were to all use Flash to build our internet applications, there would
be no practical use for the web browser in the first place and suddenly the
web is a propritary place. So the question I pose is this: If someone were
to ask you to build them a website and your final product is a URL to a web
page that runs a full page Flash movie, did you build them what they asked
for? Did you build a website?

Thoughts?

-Jon

http://www.coolfusion.com