From: Raymond Camden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 July 2003 05:41
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Caching cfc objects in the application scope

> On Thursday, Jul 3, 2003, at 08:53 US/Pacific, Raymond Camden wrote:
> > It does improve performance. However, I (and others) have
> found issues
> > with CFCs that are cached and under load. (And I don't mean
> big honkin
> > amazon.com load, just medium level load.) Issues like:
>
> "It does improve performance" is a bit of a blanket
> statement. It *may*
> improve performance depending on what your CFC does and how
> you use it.

Well, if you take the process of recreating the object out, you _will_
save time. It may just be a very small amount of time. ;)

> As for load issues, macromedia.com is heavily CFC-based and
> uses a lot
> of CFCs stored in server scope (we're the only application in town so
> we don't use application scope :) and we've never seen the sort of
> issues Ray has seen - even with tens of thousands of active
> concurrent
> users (we have 15,000-20,000 active sessions across six CFMX
> instances
> during morning peak load).

The bugs I found were confirmed by MACR engineering, however, they were
always stored in the application scope, so maybe that had an impact.
Actually, since it was so easy for me to reproduce the bugs locally with
a stress tool, I'll see if the server scope makes a difference.

-Ray

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com