It's very easy after a somewhat involved gearing up phase (deciding what
goes in the image and so forth).

After that you've definitely got more costs with the VPS - licensing issues
(which you've already mentioned) for OSs and support software and
configuration issues.

A simple example is that with multiple isolated instances of CFMX running I
can apply an updater once, OS service packs once and so forth - with a VPS
you'd have to do this for each VM.

An isolated instance of CFMX is much less likely to cross-over and cause
problems in other accounts than a shared instance and a VPS is even less
likely.  But the maintenance cost for the VPS is higher simply because, in
effect, you're managing multiple "machines".

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of a VPS (and hope that they come down
in price to where regular schmoes like me can afford them).  But they are
definitely, for now, a more expensive option - although not a grossly more
expensive option.

I would think that a host, after crunching the numbers could offer an
isolated instance of CFMX for somewhat more than a shared instance and a VPS
for somewhat more than that - I don't think that the range is all that
great.

I'm seeing low high-end shared accounts (on Windows) for a range of $70-$99
a month and VPS accounts (on Windows) for $200 a month.  I would think that
an isolated application server option would fit between the two nicely.

Jim Davis

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com