Robertson-Ravo, Neil (RX) wrote:
> Its all relative. Personally, most of us would be using an enterprise level
> database (of which Access cannot be deemed) to which the question can be
> applied.
Perhaps misread but what you had said seems a bit condescending

My question was just out of curiousity and when I searched on limits to
get accurate numbers on Access like Dave S. had so courteously given us,
I didn't find any.

You mean to tell me that no one on the list runs into organizations that
have loads of access databases which do not want to upgrade or migrate
their information and wish for simple web solutions to integrate into them?

> Access is simple file access database and the amount of tables it uses / can
> have is down to the amount of size you have on your database and how well
> the aged Jet engine perfoms under load.  It only supports databases of 2GB
> in size so effectively you could have 400 tables in there but if the data is
> not huge then it will work.  Also Access also can only support 255
> concurrent users - but I would say that even that is over clocked.

This is all accurate as far as I know as well. The only thing that
answers my question was the 2gb / 400 tables piece. But I am curious -
what is the theory behind that? This I don't know - you averaging out
the size of the tables or is there a specific formula I am unaware of?

> If you are looking at loads of tables in access and a huge load then I would
> suggest an upgrade to an enterprise level db.

Sure I think this is true, but I also think - much of it is how you code
a project.. because personally I have a site with consistently hundreds
of active sessions and access serving up carts and 2,000 products.
Client is not ready to upgrade backend and invest more on the database
simply because - the site is fast, serves 40k to 60k of unique visitors
per week and works. I hardly can justify upgrading access on that
particular site although I am pushing him to upgrade to MX and SQL - it
has obvious advantages no one can argue.

When projects start out complex or at any level - but are start up -
then we have the luxury of choosing and suggesting database systems that
we know run optimally. I am not saying that Access is the best or
anything - but I don't think it(Access) can not be dismissed completely.

jay

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm