From: Oliver Tupman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 1:30 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF or .DotNet what do you think?

Hi Eric,

Just thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth about this.

I'm using CF having come from a software engineering start via PHP
(which I loved).

Before anyone yells at me I can see the benefits that CF gives, and two
of our directors have made huge, highly reliable websites with it.

[soapbox]
But I do hate CF.

The reason is that I'm used to the power that PHP generally gives me and
I don't like the syntax. And that's just for starters.

This is purely a personal opinion from a programmer, just like an
opinion about your next door neighbour's new car, or the state of one's
government.
[/soapbox]

If you decide to go the CF way, understand that quite a few of your
developers may spend hours banging their heads against CF. I spend about
2 hours a day doing that. Could be because most programmers are control
freaks and so like to be able to control every last detail of their
application. CF takes some of that away from you of course many argue
this is a good thing.

Personally I'd think that VB developer could make the switch to CF
relatively easily, but what one might call a 'hard-core' programmer may
well have problems with the switch. In that case I'd seriously think
about doing the CF + Java route, but I'd say that about the same as
going a PHP + Smarty route.

--
  Oliver Tupman
  Key Systems Geotechnical