From: Ryan Kime [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 11:44 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Roles in CFMX

I need help understanding ROLES in CFMX because I think the concept goes
against my idea of roles-based security. I would think that if you
assign a user one to many roles and then if a role is listed in a comma
delimited list in the roles parameter on a CFC, the user can access it,
but that's not how it goes in CFMX.

Here's a quick rundown of my situation: we finished a major app, now two
other groups want access to it and this requires limitations to certain
areas and functions. When developing the original app we set everyone on
the same role, so all CFCs have the role parameter set.

Say for simplicity's sake, the three roles are G for guest, U for user,
and A for Admin. Therefore....

Guests = "G"
Users = "G,U"
Admins = "G,U,A"

On a CFC, if the role is "G" will the Users and Admins be able to use
the CFC?
What about a "G,U" restricted function, will Admins be able to access
it?

TIA,

Ryan Kime
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web
Developer Webco Industries