On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 18:42 US/Pacific, Adam Churvis wrote:
> I'd like to get your opinion on something else, if I may.  If a system
> makes
> extensive use of a good-sized library of custom tags throughout an
> application (virtually on every page), and the logic and display tasks
> handled by them are truly best implemented as custom tags (many of
> which
> internally call components that interface with the persistence layer),
> wouldn't using CFIMPORT on every page (which redundantly re-imports the
> entire library of custom tags with each page request) be considered a
> second-best approach in favor of discrete calls via CFMODULE
> template="" to
> just those custom tags needed on each page?

See my other email - <cfimport> is a compiler directive that creates no
runtime overhead. The great benefit of <cfimport> is that it allows you
to create 'namespaces' for custom tags so that you can use a nice,
clean syntax for calling custom tags but without any ambiguity about
where the tags actually live.

> I can see using CFIMPORT for the occasional call to a custom tag in a
> relatively small library (or subdirectory of a library) of custom
> tags, but
> it seems to me that when you have a lot of them and use them just about
> everywhere that CFMODULE template="" is the best approach, both from an
> architectural and a performance point of view.

Actually, no. <cfimport> is cleaner since you end up with regular tag
syntax:

        <prefix:mytag attr="value">
                stuff here
        </prefix:mytag>

Instead of:

        <cfmodule template="/path/to/mytag.cfm" attr="value">
                stuff here
        </cfmodule> <!--- end of mytag call --->

Note how you'd need a comment on the closing cfmodule tag (if "stuff
here" was long enough that you couldn't see both start and end tags on
a single page) whereas the <cfimport> format let's you close the custom
tag with it's name!

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood