Sean,

Thanks for discussing this topic with me and with the rest of the list.  The
reason why this is so important to me is because we have something big that
we’re about to launch that makes extensive use of a fairly large custom tag
library, and we’ve looked at how to handle them from many different aspects,
including things like shared hosting environments, software maintainability,
etc.  Each technique for calling custom tags had its advantages and
disadvantages, but the two main things that got me about CFIMPORT was that
you couldn’t use a variable to target the custom tag library location since
it’s a compile-time directive, and secondly "importing" the entire library
of custom tags at that location, which sounded like a lot of unnecessary
overhead on each page request.  If only it were named CFMAPTAGNAMESPACE
instead. ;)

What absolutely killed CFIMPORT for us was the inability to represent the
custom tag library location as a persistent variable that we could set as
needed.  Without that, our software wouldn’t be easy to deploy in a shared
environment where the mapping name you hard-coded into all those CFIMPORT
calls during development wasn’t available when it came time to deploy on a
box that had a hundred other sites on it-- and one of them got your mapping
name first.

All this being said, would you seriously consider amending your ColdFusion
MX Coding Guidelines regarding the use of CFMODULE?  Just from this
discussion today, I don’t think the claim of "slow" really holds up anymore,
nor does the claim that it "encourages some very unstructured usage."  And
in light of what I’ve mentioned about maintainability (especially in shared
hosting environments), CFIMPORT isn’t "always preferable" to CFMODULE.
There is a lot of misleading information about CFMODULE going around,
including one I heard recently that "each call to CFMODULE generates its own
separate HTTP request."  I really want to clear up these rumors, and your
very influential guidelines document would be a great place to set the
record straight.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Member of Team Macromedia

Advanced Intensive ColdFusion MX Training
ColdFusion MX Master Class:
September 22 - 26, 2003
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com

Download CommerceBlocks V2.1 and LoRCAT from
http://www.ProductivityEnhancement.com

The ColdFusion MX Bible is in bookstores now!