1. Not all outlook or Microsoft users are connected to the internet and thus are
not susceptible to miscreants taking advantage of built-in capabilities of the
software..

2. Scripting features have been around for quite awhile, and what may well be
considered as dangerous of some, under certain circumstances, for others
scripting support has been a "gee-whiz" feature, that is relatively simple to
implement, and assists software in doing great things.

3. Even of the software publisher delivers software with all these "features"
defaulted of OFF, there will always be the potential for error by those who
choose to turn them on.  For instance in the latest versions of MS software
(Win2k, Win2003, etc). scripting support must be proactively selected to even
install the capability.

4.  A greet deal of damage has been done, and is still being done with
"features" such as _javascript_, Java, Active-X and VBScript.   Which one do you
wish to pick on?  I have added VBScript applets to my Outlook program to gather
complete header information in one pass, (spamsource), and scripting to prevent
html rendering and simple sender blocking, (Cloudmark) , as well as much more.
Incidentally, VBScript is being used all across the MS product line, especially

Office, which enables the user to do many automated procedures.   Of course, all
code, no matter what the name it is marketed under, can be used to do harm, and
to blame the publisher for supporting the features and capability is not making
good sense.  Is active-x good because it will launch Flash player to entertain,

or bad because it also can be used to install a high toll auto dialer to connect
you to a filthy Porn web site?.

Of course system attacks by miscreants are inconvenient, as well as very costly,
but the blame rightfully belongs to the miscreant, and not the publisher.  As
long at it remains common to point the finger at the publisher, instead of the
offender, little will be accomplished to reduce or prevent the misuse of
computer capabilities, or the use of its advanced features.

I must actually laud software publishers who have raised the level of security

on their radar screens, and are implementing new security features just about as

fast as they can, but at the same time trying to keep their products usable, and

to make the "gee-whiz" features available to those who would ethically implement
them.  This provides value to the end-user, and is not necessarily product
dependent.   In order to implement security, they have the consideration of not
having the implementation break their software, or to limit its use by
legitimate and ethical users.

Computer and communication technology has come a long way in the past 15 years,
and is continuing to move ahead at an ever increasing pace.  This requires

administrators to not only constantly improve their skills, but to actually make
up for the ignorance of "appliance users" that are part of the community.  You
have the inherent obligation to not only stay sharp, but to continually educate
less skilled users.

A few years back I could innocently send out to a large number of recipients,
electronic holiday greeting email, with embedded animations, music, and other
nifty "tricks" that were enjoyed and entertaining.  I likewise received many of
these, and liked the features which make computing so enjoyable.  Due to the
miscreants, I can no longer send these, and am afraid to open the ones that I
receive.  Whose fault is this?  Excuse me if I do not point  finger at software
publishers.

Featuring Win2003 Enterprise, RedHat Linux, CFMX 6.1 and all databases.
Suggested corporate Anti-virus policy: http://www.dshield.org/antivirus.pdf