> Of Unicode, yes, but remember: there is NO Unicode on Internet, only UTF-8
and UTF-8 is
> a method to encode 16 bits character using several 8 bits characters, (up
to 6 actually).

yes i think i maybe know that already. no, there are more than the utf-8
unicode transform out there, utf-16 is sometimes used, utf-32 exists but is
very rare now. there is no "only UTF-8". in any case, its *all* unicode.

> Only US-ASCII chars from 0 to 127 are represented as one byte, so UTF-8 is
transparent
> for ASCII only. All chars from 128 to 255 used in French or other European
languages will take
> 2 bytes, which is unnecessary if you need only languages supported by 256
character sets.

thats hardly a reason not to use unicode. the vast majority of latin-1 text
uses chars in the first 128 codepoints. the folks who designed & built
unicode weren't dumb.

> >>why would you want that?
>
> I mean produce a page in standard latin-1 character set, not UTF-8

again why would you want that?

> Personally I can leave without that, and I think it is still possible to
get Unicode characters
> separately using appropriate code.

non-standard, too much complexity, blah, blah, blah. there are reasons why
java, sql server, etc. use unicode internally.

> >>it also nails your application's feet to western europe
>
> Of course, but I was thinking of application that only use these
languages.

again why would you want to do that? with a bit of extra thought you can
have an app thats world ready.

> At that time I encountered several problems with some browsers, in
particular NT4 to support
> Unicode fonts: the user was requested to download hudge font files (about
32 megs), and the display was
> simply horrible.

i can't imagine why. arial unicode ms has been around way longer than 2
years and there were plenty of other unicode capable fonts back then.

> NT4 is not a significative player any more, and Unicode fonts are more or
less standard I suppose.

international ms office comes with arial unicode ms, thats got everything
(and i do mean everything) in it for 10-12mb. normal windows' installs have
a couple-three "unicode" fonts but most all TT will cover some bits of
unicode. on windows open up your character map tool, you will see that even
venerable times roman has hebrew & arabic in it.