At 15:50 15/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Yep... you could do it several ways...though not truly in homesite.....All
>source control is is ensuring that two people cant edit the same file...so
>its a process of checking if the file is read-only before you go and make
>changes....

We thought of just manually changing files to read-only before editing
them, but of course this stops YOU from editing it as well. Duh. But I'm
not sure what you're saying here... a description of the basics of source
control software, not suggestions for "manual" source control?

>What source control does add is history and disaster recovery...in my
>opinion, even if you are working alone, source control should be used.

Homesite's backup systems and CD-Rs serve us well. A full "source control"
app seems silly when all we want is a notification when someone else has
the same file open.

We're on the same network. How does MS Office do it so effortlessly? Do
Word and Excel have a built-in CVS system?! Or is there just a bit of
Windows scripting that can replicate this? The more I look at it, the more
it seems odd that this basic little idea isn't built into Windows
drive/file sharing.

Bah.

Gyrus
[EMAIL PROTECTED]