>> Idea two was to have CF make a folder name based on a UUID (universal
>> unique ID) and have CF copy the file from a non shared drive to this
>> folder. Then delete it a few mins later

As Dave said this will work and takes CF out of the file serving loop,
however you still need CF to Copy the file.  Instead look at the iAuth
product at Cool Fusion http://www.coolfusion.com/products/iAuth/ it gives
you CF controlled access to the web server authentication.  This way the web
server handles the file entirely and CF need not be burdened.

I use the Website version for creating extranet’s.  CF handles determining
what files the user is allowed to download and iAuth handles the web server
authentication for the request.

Best regards,

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A Web Design and Hosting Company
Wolcott, CT 06716 USA
tel: (203)879-2844  fax: (203)879-6254
http://www.uxbinternet.com/
http://dennis.uxb.net/