>>Why anyone would want to use Outlook is beyond me,

Just because it comes with Windows and people don't care to look for something else.
If people don't care to look for something else, it means they don't care either to look
for patches and new versions. This means that, despite Microsoft's notice that they
solve problems and correct flaws and breaches, we still have many years ahead with
virus, trojans and other garbage from stupid users.