> Somebody wrote IP, network and MAC data types for PostgreSQL,

And how far along are they in porting that to Windows? :)

> including support for the big seven operators. So I could just
> use the IP datatype for SourceIP and everything would work
> automagically:

That's pretty handy. Out of curiosity, does it also include functions
for selecting individual octets? If not, how about user defined
functions? That would make it useful for what we're doing.

> Since it is my understanding that you can't write your own
> operators in MS SQL Server, I doubt this is going to fly.

I don't know of a SQL Server equivalent functionality wise. Perhaps
Yukon with C# will address this, though a multi-thousand dollar upgrade
for an IP datatype would just be silly.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051