Benjamin S. Rogers said:
>> Somebody wrote IP, network and MAC data types for PostgreSQL,
>
> And how far along are they in porting that to Windows? :)

SRA and some others sell commercial versions, 7.2.1 is available as a
free source distribution.

>> including support for the big seven operators. So I could just
>> use the IP datatype for SourceIP and everything would work
>> automagically:
>
> That's pretty handy. Out of curiosity, does it also include
> functions for selecting individual octets? If not, how about user
> defined functions? That would make it useful for what we're doing.

There isn't really code to select individual octets, but you could
write something for it in any of the available procedural languages.
But do you really want to select individual octets or is that just the
workaround you use now? Because there are operators to check for
subnet inclusion and functions to calculate broadcast address, network
address etc from subnet definitions.

Jochem