  From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 9:18 AM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: How to deal with RH 7/8/9 EOL [was: CF on Linux]

  Josh Remus said:
  > Just a question for those of you running CF on RH 7/8/9....What are
  > you doing (if these are production servers) to deal with the
  > End-Of-Life of these products?  We're confronting this right now,
  > although not for CF.

  Of the firms I know of, there is only one where they worked with
  RedHat (not even for CF) but the consensus there is: nothing.
  It has been verified that the tool chain works so when the community
  stops producing RPMs it is possible to get the patch for whatever
  needs fixing and compile it. But that is not expected, because if the
  issue is serious the community will produce RPMs, and if it is not
  serious you can just ignore the patch.

  Long term there will probably be a move to Debian. If you are willing
  to invest a little bit in working with the community, community
  support is just as good if not better as commercial support anyway
  (with the possible exception of bugs that are boring and tedious to
  fix, but then you can scratch your own itch).
  Unless we are talking about mission critical, 'engineer onsite in 4
  hours' support. But for that type of support you can get a specialized
  consultancy firm.

  Jochem