  From: Geoff Bowers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:50 PM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: Re: Update Verity Collections Execution Time

  Barney,

  Barney Boisvert wrote:
  > I didn't say anything about read speed.  I agree, verity is quite fast for
  > that.  The updates, however, are slow like a dog.  I don't think anyone
can
  > argue that one.  If you've got a collection using verity that doesn't
change
  > a whole lot, then verity is great (and free, if the collection is small
  > enough).  But if the collection is highly dynamic, then verity quicky gets
  > crushed under it's own weight.
  >
  > So yes, my statements don't always apply, but the initial question was
about
  > updates, not reads.

  It depends how you update the Collection.  If you use REFRESH for
  example, you are purging the entire collection and rebuilding it from
  scratch -- this is time consuming.  If you use UPDATE this is relatively
  quick but needs to be optimised regularly.

  I'm simply saying that suggesting that folks *not* use Verity on account
  of anecdotal evidence on its apparent slowness, be it updates or reads
  is not useful.  And that for small collections certainly -- be it reads
  or updates, Verity is more than adequate.  I would consider 10,000
  records to be small and 45 seconds to even REFRESH a long time.

  -- geoff
  http://www.daemon.com.au/