Andrew,
My issue is not so much with the code mechanics, but a) why is
cflogin acting unpredictably and b) is GetAuthUser an acceptable
alternative to using cflogin. Your experience suggests that b) is
a viable route, so unless I hear otherwise elsewhere, that's the
way I'll go. Thanks for your help.

Dave Jones
NetEffect