I am aware of no limit on how deep complex types can be nested with
WDDX. I suspect you had an application specific problem. In regard to
WDDX vs. XML, you should remember that WDDX is XML, so what you are
really comparing is WDDX to some non-standard XML schema you make up.
As to whether a custom XML schema would be better for your application
that is an open question that we can't answer without more information
about your application. However, you should be aware that there would
need to be compelling reasons to use some other XML schema for the
purpose you describe since WDDX should work fine and building something
new will take time, effort, and may result in something less robust.

Matt Liotta
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.MontaraSoftware.com