Thanks Cameron

I ordered the hard copy, but have been reading it online at O'Reilly
Safari bookshelf.

Very well done, but a little out of date (Pre Flash MX 2004 &
Professional)

I am on chapter 4 and haven't found anything yet  (that I understand
well enough) to satisfy my need.

What I need is kinda' like a Ticker -- but it's not!

Or, kinda like a Chat -- but it's not!

What I want is kinda' like a streaming client but,  unlike a Ticker,
the stage (grid) never moves-- only the values and colors of the cells
will change.

Unlike a chat, as soon as I get a packet  of changes from the server, I
want to request another, before processing this one-- no artificial
delays to minimize traffic -- to the contrary, I want the client to
request and consume data as often as it can.

I currently am using 2 different streamer-fed client apps provided by a
3rd party. One is a Java applet, the other is  a  windows-only native
app.

Surprisingly, my own CFMX/HTML combination outperforms both.  They look
like they are performing faster/better and update cells more often but
the data is less current

During peak hours, these "streamer" apps will get behind 5-10 minutes

I could rewrite my CFMX/HTML app to use DHTML and/or hidden frames to
improve performance and provide a better UI.

But Flash remoting  seems to offer much better efficiency, UI, etc.

Dick

On Feb 6, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Cameron Childress wrote:

> If you don't already have it, go buy "Flash for Server Geeks".  It
> will make
>  your task a whole lot easier and should answer most of your present
> and
>  future questions.o request another
>
> http://www.flashforservergeeks.com/fsg/
>
>  -Cameron