I have gone through two series of Ben Forta's books, and they're very large
and detailed, and easy to read.  But for a beginner, I'd vote with Massimo.

"ColdFusion MX: From Static to Dynamic in 10 Steps" by Barry Moore  goes
through the conversion of a site from a regular html static site to a
database driven CFMX site with a simple shopping cart.   It goes through
"this is CFIF."  level steps, and gives you step by step on how to include,
how to redirect etc how to reuse code.  It's really good as a basic.  At the
end of it you'll know all of the routine stuff we use every day.  Then you
get Ben's books and they will mean a LOT more to you.

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia

AFP Webworks