That won't work.  CF maintains a copy of as many templates as you let it in
memory.  The files in that directory are only used if the requested template
is not already in the memory cache (notably on server startup).  You'll have
to either let the templates refresh themselves as needed (it'll happen on
the first request, if trusted cache isn't enabled), or just cycle each
server after applying the updates.  If you're running in a cluster, then
it's a snap to do the latter.

Cheers,
barneyb