>  I'm not quite clear on this. Of course SP's aren't the only way of
>  separating business logic from presentation but aren't they one
> possible
>  means of doing so? SP's allow developers to abstract or separate
> server-side
>  functions from the client-side GUI. Multiple statements and
> conditional
>  logic can be processed within a procedure and simply exposed as a
> series of
>  values in and out. If only a tiny fraction of an application involves
>  Coldfusion and browser based technologies, moving any core DB
> functionality
>  on to a Coldfusion template mixes Business Logic with presentation to
> the
>  detriment of the app.

Generally speaking, stored procedures are used for business logic in
two tier architectures. There are applications that are best built in
two tier architectures and there are applications that are not best
suited, but require a two tier architecture for legacy reasons.
However, almost all web applications are best suited for an N-tier
architecture and in fact, most enterprise web applications are.
Therefore, in the context of this mailing list and for the purposes of
this thread, I feel the statement, "business logic should be in the
business tier" is justified and appropriate.

>  How else can core DB functionality be accessible to a dedicated Oracle
>  developer for example? This isn't always a requirement but it certain
> cases
>  it certainly is. Different projects have different requirements.

Indeed.

-Matt