Are you asking how the above options compare?

If so, then a Google search on term "'flash remoting' 'web services'" pulls
up existing assets on choosing between server-specific binary and
server-independent XML/SOAP. (There are other discussions, too, but they're
mixed in with other hits on those two query phrases.)

... or is it that you already read Steven Webster's article at DevNet (the
top hit on the above term), and have an additional question? or...?

> ...  am having a bit of a hard time deciding which route
> to pursue....

Well, it's trite of me, but one reliable approach is to keep things as
simple as possible to solve the problem. You're already using ColdFusion so
I'm assuming you can produce web services for consumption. Is there a
reason why you couldn't go this way, and would instead be considering the
tighter connectivity of the remoting approach...?

(There are RIA mailing lists out there, but they tend to be focused on user
experience rather than plumbing type, but I may not yet understand what is
being sought.)

Hmm, or maybe it's "What's an easy way to approach creating data-driven UIs
in the Macromedia Flash authoring environment?" If so, then there's a
portal which seems tuned to this need:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/data_integration.html

Or...?

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd