I think that sounds pretty wicked.

I would love to have more info, or the files.

Yves

  _____

From: Dick Applebaum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: May 27, 2004 2:02 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: CF (BD) on CD with DB Success!

This is a cross-post to BlueDragon and CF-Talk lists:

I am happy to report that all the pieces of running CFML entirely on a
CD are operational.

The current configuration includes:

-- Jetty http server
-- Jetty Servlet container
-- BlueDragonJ2ee 6.1 RC2
-- McKoi database
-- some CF templates

Everything is on CD and executes on CD!

Of course the DB is read-only but that should suffice for for a lot of
demo applications.

You should also be able to get CFMXJ2ee to run in this environment.

I chose the McKoi db because it is feature-rich, Java, and open-source
with a flexible redistribution license.

I considered PointBase and MySQL but they are less flexible (cost) than
McKoi.

So, creating an executable, self-contained CD of your CF app is doable!

The McKoi db is concise and flexible -- it shouldn't be too difficult
to write a cf program that copies the db to the user's hard disk --
using cffile and/or cfexecute.

That done, your CF on CD app could update the db.

If it is possible in BD to dynamically create datasources, you could
also connect your app to any other dbs avaiilable to the user.

The next (hopefully the last) big technical issue is to get a
cross-platform "autorun from CD" program to allow your app to start on
CD insertion.  The start time for all the components is about 20-30
seconds.

Then there the licensing/cost issues to resolve -- but, hey, that's for
saner minds!

Finally, I could give you a URL to see this in action but, BDJ2ee
throws an error if accessed on other than localhost.

BlueDragonRunTimeEngine License Manager
This product is not licensed for this request

If anyone wants a working example, I can send them the files... or if
you wait a few days, I may have the last technical issues resolved.

Dick
  _____