You can try a few things.  First, you can turn up the spooler frequency in
the CFADMIN to 90 or 120 (or more) seconds.  This will space the bursts
further apart, but if your problem is during one burst, then this might not
help.

You can also set up a "relay" SMTP server as an inbetween from CF to your
final SMTP destination.  This could be as easy as enabling local relay of
SMTP mail via IIS's SMTP service (if you are on windows).  Just enable IIS's
SMTP service, make sure to restrict relay only to localhost, and set all
mail to relay directly from the SMTP service to your "real" SMTP server.
This will let CF send the mail out fast and then let the go-between buffer
the load.

Alternately, you could also create the CFMAIL messages in smaller batches.
Create a scheduled event to send them 500 messages at a time (or whatever
rate you choose).  CFMX appears to send a percentage of the mail in the
queue, so the more in the queue at once, the more in one single batch.  You
can find more info about "despooling" speed at a blog post I made about it
back in April:

http://www.sumoc.com/blog/?mode=entry&entry=C08CD25F-5004-2066-B75E9A088A74E
8B6

-Cameron