Ray,

I've followed this thread this morning with my cup of joe, and seen some
great insight on some of the bigger issues with type and graphics. Adobe
Photoshop has never really handled fonts very well, especially with the
web image exports (which is best to port to Image Ready instead of the
"Save for Web" option IMO). In one tutorial I found on a PS GA's site it
was suggested to use the "Matte: None" option, especially when working
with dark type. When I was part owner of a Screen Printing shop our GA
found that type which was first created in Illustrator, vectorized, then
imported into PS would work the best (this was in the PS 5 days, and
Illustrator gave him more flexability with text manipulation as well,
though the new PS CS edition has brought it a long way). Though it's not
my tool of choice (nor the two GAs that work here), Fireworks does
appear to handle web image typography a little better/cleaner (as some
here have mentioned). I guess we all find the workarounds to the
limitations of our tools of preference...

Cutter